Saturday, July 17, 2010

South Dakota Home Visit

It has been a while since I have had a brush in my hands and my journey has led me in another direction until I get a torn rotator cuff fixed. About a year ago I ended up with a Canon SLR in my posession and have been chasing light digitally since then. I am looking forward to being able to paint again, but this will have to be my creative outlet for now. I have ended up learning a great deal about light in this little diversionary journey and have ended up selling a few prints along the way. I just got back from a trip to my homeland and had an opportunity to capture a bit of the light in the Dakotas.


The first shot is a view that I grew up seeing from the driveway of my parents house for over 18 years. It is easy to take something like this for granted until you don't see it anymore.



This second piece is about a quarter of a mile down the road from my folks house. Bear Butte is in the background beneath an evening sky.




This piece was a real treat to discover as the sun broke the horizon next to a pond with steam rising off it.

This last piece is an icon that I notice is disappearing a little bit at a time with every trip that I make home. I have always enjoyed the mystery of why anyone would just abandon a home a wait for nature to slowly swallow it.

No comments: