Thursday, April 26, 2007

Balboa Fig



Another study to play around with some technique before committing to it on a large canvas. This is a fig tree that is in Balboa Park in San Diego. They now have this tree surrounded with a chain link fence to keep the kids off of the natural playground because all of the traffic on the ground was compacting the soil and suffocating the tree. It is easy to understand the attraction as I was tempted to jump the fence and go for a climb myself.

I ended up a litte unrestrained in this study and overheated the painting again. The balance of warms and cools is pretty far one sided. I got a little too fascinated with the root that hangs off of the front of the tree and looks like a snake. Good news is the stuff that I wanted to have happen with this one did actually work out.

No comments: